That's right. Because your skin is a passageway into your bloodstream. And you know what that means? Anything you apply topically, as well as what you eat, will affect the overall health and appearance of your skin.
I like to tell people that beauty starts from the inside out. To keep our skin youthful and glowing, we need to take care of our overall health.
First off, we need to drink plenty of water! Many of us are walking around thirsty. And the older we get, our skin tends to become dehydrated a lot more quickly causing it to wrinkle, so you guessed it, ample hydration is a must.
What else can you do? Eat your superfoods!
I like to include plenty of omega-3 fatty acids in my diet. Foods such as wild caught salmon, hemp seeds, chia seeds and walnuts are great sources. Omega-3's are known to decrease inflammation and may reduce the risk of acne and other skin problems.
Vitamin C helps to stimulate collagen production and prevent cells from damage caused by free radicals. Great sources are oranges, pineapple, tomato, strawberries, and bell peppers.
Vitamin E helps limit sun damage and signs of aging. Almonds are a terrific source of Vitamin E.
Vitamin A revitalizes skin by increasing cell production and rebuilds tissue. Eggs and dark leafy greens are good choices.
Beta-Carotene is needed for growth and repair of tissue. It is found in abundance in orange foods like carrots, sweet potato, pumpkin, and cantaloupe.
Other powerhouse foods for skin health are avocados, mushrooms, berries, and surprise, dark chocolate!
Lastly, and equally important, we need to pay attention to what we put ON our skin.
Up to 60% of what you apply topically on your skin will be absorbed into your bloodstream, and children absorb even more than that!
Imagine all the skin care products you've been using for years that may contain harmful ingredients. Yes, they could be damaging your health and aging you faster!
You may not know this, but some cosmetic companies DO NOT list their ingredients (the toxic chemicals) because they are not required to do so. But toxic chemicals are commonly used in personal care products and many can be linked to a host of health problems including; allergies, skin rashes, headaches, fertility issues, hormone changes and even cancer.
Living a toxic free life has been a goal of mine for many years. As I learn more about how to eat clean, live clean, and detoxify, I can feel health and vitality returning to my body. And it feels amazing!
Which is why I recently joined an award winning organic skin care company based in England. I'm loving their products and looking forward to sharing their gift of health to others. One of my favorite items right now is the Beauty Sleep Concentrate. Not only is my skin looking more youthful and radiant, but the pure essential oils smell divine and I'm sleeping like a baby!
The bottom line, we need to pay attention to what we put in our body and ON our skin.
It's taken me many years to find a company that aligns with my values and offers top notch products. So I was excited to find Neal's Yard Remedies (NYR Organic). The company is cruelty free, environmentally friendly, certified organic and ethical. All of their products are safe for you and the environment. It's a perfect fit for me!
Curious about the safety of your own personal care products?
I suggest you check the ingredient label to see if any of these toxic chemicals are listed. If so, please toss them out and find a healthier alternative!
- Parabens - often found in shampoo, deodorants and moisturizers, parabens are hormone inhibitors and believed to accelerate tumor growth and cancer.
- Artificial fragrance & color - may trigger allergies, asthma, and some colors contain lead & harmful dyes, especially orange and red.
- Toulene - found in nail polish, hair color products, and some fragrances, this chemical is linked to kidney and liver damage, which may affect fetal growth.
- Sodium Lauryl Sulfate and Sodium Laureth Sulfate - a foaming agent found in shampoos and body and facial washes. It dries out the skin and is linked to eczema, hair loss, rashes, and dry scaly skin.
- Formaldehyde - used as a preservative, formaldehyde is known by several different names and should be avoided at all costs, as the side effects are numerous.
- PEG's -– found in numerous skin and personal care products, this is anti-freeze and should be used for your car, not your skin!
- Paraffin/Mineral Oil/Petroleum - clogs pores, causing toxic build-up.
- Phthalates - found in plastics, it is a known hormone disruptor.
- Triclosan - used in anti-bacterial products, it is a pesticide, harmful to the environment, and a suspected carcinogenic.
- Sunscreens - Search the ingredients online and you will see that they cause possible damage to DNA and many are known carcinogens.
*****Of course, there are more, but you get the point. If you wouldn’t EAT it, it doesn’t belong on your SKIN.*****
If you want to learn more about NYR Organic skin care, please visit my consultant site by clicking this link. Or let me know if you want to learn more about hosting a party.
You can also look up what’s in your skin care by visiting one of my favorite sites: